Section 1 (Transfer of Device Ownership and Software License)
- Subject to your agreement to and compliance with the Terms, the ownership of the Device and any printed materials included with the Device (such as manuals and the like) will be transferred from the distributor to you at the time you purchase the Device.
- Sourcenext grants you a non-exclusive right to use the Device as well as the software contained in the Device (“Software”) under these Terms.
- Purchase of the Device does not transfer any of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights related to the Software or the printed materials included with the Device (such as manuals and the like) to you.
Section 2 (Conditions of Use)
- The Software is available only for your own use of the Service provided by Sourcenext. Any commercial use such as commercial sales or rentals, and business use of two (2) or more units by one (1) company are prohibited. For more details, please contact us here (http://rd.snxt.jp/64269/). All intellectual property over the Device itself as well as over the digital content, software, customer support material and other services that the Device provides (collectively, “Service”) is owned by Sourcenext or a third party that Sourcenext designates and protected under both Japanese and international intellectual property law.
- If you are unable or unwilling to use the SIM Service, you will be solely responsible for obtaining and configuring the required Internet connection (such as Wi-Fi, another SIM service, etc.) to receive the Service. In this case, Sourcenext will not be involved in such installation or operation of your communication environment at all nor will it provide support to you.
- Sourcenext may provide automatic or manual updates for the Software as necessary without notice to you, and these Terms will also apply to such updated Software.
- You are solely responsible for obtaining any governmental approvals or certifications required to use the Device, as well as providing any required notification to governmental agencies unless such approvals, certifications, and notifications were completed by the distributor..
Section 3 (Consent to Data Use)
- You acknowledge and agree that Sourcenext may obtain information about your usage of the Device (translation data (including Wi-Fi access point base station information and mobile communication base station information at the time of translation), the POCKETALK W terminal identification number, and communication identification number, etc.) via the Software. Sourcenext will handle such information in accordance with its Privacy Statement, which you can access at https://www.sourcenext.com/privacy/pocketalk-en/.
- The Device transfers voice data generated when speaking through the Software and the translation data thereof, to servers of the providers of voice recognition engines, speech synthesis engines and translation engines, as well as the outsourced contractors for development and support services, etc. ("Third Party Partner") via the Internet, in such a manner that it does not identify you. Sourcenext receives technology service from Third Party Partner for the purpose of providing the Software's voice identification translation function. By using the Device, you agree that your spoken voice data and the translated data thereof will be obtained and stored through the information collection modules embedded in the Device and forwarded to Third Party Partner in such a manner that it does not identify you.
- By agreeing to these Terms, you are deemed to have also agreed to any Third Party Partners’ terms and policies and service agreements, including the terms set forth below, all of which may apply to the Device.
・NUANCE DEVELOPER FOR MOBILE PROGRAM LICENSE AND HOSTING SERVICES AGREEMENT／Nuance Communications, Inc.
Section 4 (Temporary Disruption, Termination or Discontinuation, etc. of Service)
Although using the Service through the Device requires connecting to a third party’s server, Sourcenext will nevertheless use reasonable efforts to ensure that the Service operates in a stable and reliable manner. However, the Service may be temporarily unavailable or terminated without prior notice to you due to one or more of the following reasons:
- A breakdown, failure, or any other similar causes involving a server, communication line, or other facilities;
- Periodic or urgent system maintenance work, inspection, repair, or modification;
- A fire, a power outage, or other similar occurrence;
- A natural disaster such as an earthquake, volcanic eruption, flood, or tsunami;
- A war, disturbance, riot, turmoil, labor dispute, or other unexpected event; or
- When Sourcenext believes it is necessary to temporarily suspend the Service for operational or technical reasons.
Section 5 (ProhibitedActions)
You are prohibited from performing any of the following acts:
- Acts that infringe the intellectual property rights of Sourcenext or a third party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark rights, patent rights, design rights, and other rights provided under relevant law and regulations, or by contract;
- Reproducing, modifying or preparing derivative works of the Software;
- Compiling by integrating or combining part of the Software into other programs;
- Modifying, integrating, reverse engineering (such as by disassembling), and analyzing the Software, as well as other similar acts;
- Sublicense or distribute the Software to a third party;
- Transfer the Device or reproductions (except for transferring to those approved by Sourcenext);
- Rent or perform acts similar to renting the Device or reproductions; or otherwise transact used goods;
- Use the Software and reproduce or use other software beyond the scope of personal use without authorization;
- Storing the Software on a network in a manner that allows it to be transmitted to a third party;
- Performing acts that damage the reputation of the Device, the Software, Sourcenext or others, including acts that otherwise harass, slander, or libel others; and
- Encouraging any of the acts described above.
Section 6 (Effects of Breaching These Terms)
- The Terms shall become effective when you first use the Device.
- If you breach any of the provisions of these Terms or infringe the copyright or other property ownership rights of Sourcenext or any third party, Sourcenext may, without the need to notify you in advance: (i) take measures to suspend your use of the Software as appropriate; and/or (ii) terminate your license to use the Software.
- Sourcenext will not be liable for any damages to you caused by any action it may take under Paragraph 2 above.
Section 7 (Exemption and Limitation of Liability)
- THE TRANSLATIONS THAT THE DEVICE PRODUCES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. AS SUCH, SOURCENEXT DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT ANY TRANSLATIONS THAT THE DEVICE PRODUCES ARE COMPLETE OR ACCURATE, USEFUL TO YOU, OR OTHERWISE CONSISTENT WITH THE PURPOSES THAT YOU USE THE SERVICE FOR. SOURCENEXT EXPLICITLY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE SOURCENEXT MATERIALS OR THE SERVICE, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT OR NON-INFRINGEMENT; AND SOURCENEXT MAKES NO WARRANTY (I) THAT THE SERVICE OR SOURCENEXT MATERIALS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS, OR (II) REGARDING THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, TIMELINESS, TRUTHFULNESS, COMPLETENESS, OR RELIABILITY OF THE SERVICE OR ANY SOURCENEXT MATERIALS.
- SOURCENEXT WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT YOU MAY INCUR AS A RESULT OF USING OR RELYING ON TRANSLATIONS THAT THE DEVICE PRODUCES.
- IN NO EVENT SHALL SOURCENEXT, ITS SUPPLIERS, OR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR: (A) ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, SERVICE INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER DAMAGE, OR SYSTEM FAILURE OR THE COST OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICE ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE OR SOURCENEXT MATERIALS, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY; OR (B) MAXIMUM DAMAGES IN THE AGGREGATE GREATER THAN THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID FOR THE DEVICE.
- SOURCENEXT WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT YOU OR A THIRD PARTY MAY INCUR ARISING FROM ANY DELAY, INTERRUPTION, TERMINATION OF THE SERVICE DUE TO ANY OF THE REASONS SET FORTH ABOVE IN SECTION 4.
Section 8 (Compensation for Damages)
- You are liable for any damages (including attorney's fees) that Sourcenext may incur due to any violation of these Terms by you.
- If you resell or rent the Device to a third party for a fee, you will be liable to pay Sourcenext damages in an amount equal to the profit that Sourcenext would have earned had Sourcenext itself sold or rented the Device to a third party for a fee.
Section 9 (Miscellaneous)
- These Terms will be construed in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- Sourcenext may amend these Terms due to a revision of the relevant laws and regulations, or if Sourcenext determines that it is necessary to amend these Terms. By continuing to use the Device, you will be deemed to have agreed to such amendments, which Sourcenext will post on its website a week prior to the amendment(s) taking effect (http://www.sourcenext.com/permission/130/), at the latest.
- These Terms do not preclude you from agreeing to different terms with the distributor; however, any such terms shall not apply to Sourcenext or modify these Terms.
- The Tokyo District Court has the exclusive jurisdiction to resolve any disputes relating to the Device, the Software, or these Terms.
- If any provision of these Terms is found to be void or unenforceable: (i) that void or unenforceable provision will be modified to the minimum extent necessary to cure the defect and make the provision valid and enforceable; and (ii) the remaining provisions of these Terms will nevertheless be binding upon the parties and will in no way be affected or impaired by the void or unenforceable provision.
November 18, 2018
The following provisions shall apply to any users subject to the jurisdiction of courts in the United States. In the event a provision of this Appendix conflicts with a provision elsewhere in the Terms, such provision of this Appendix shall control.
PLEASE READ THIS APPENDIX CAREFULLY, AS IT CONTAINS A REQUIREMENT THAT CERTAIN DISPUTES AND CLAIMS BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION AND IT OTHERWISE LIMITS THE MANNER IN WHICH YOU CAN MAKE A CLAIM AGAINST SOURCENEXT.
Each party agrees that, except as set forth under the Exceptions paragraph below, any dispute between you and Sourcenext arising out of or relating to these Terms, or the breach, termination, enforcement, interpretation or validity thereof (including the determination of the scope or applicability of this agreement to arbitrate), the Services, the Sourcenext materials, or any other Sourcenext products or services (collectively, “Disputes”) will be subject to arbitration in accordance with this Section. You can decline this agreement to arbitrate by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org within thirty (30) days of first accepting these Terms and stating that you (include your first and last name) decline this arbitration provision. In the event that you so decline this arbitration provision, or this arbitration provision is otherwise found not to apply to you or your Dispute, you and Sourcenext agree that any judicial proceeding (other than small claims actions) will be brought in the federal or state courts of Santa Clara County, California. Both you and Sourcenext agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of, and that venue is proper in, such courts.
Any Dispute shall be resolved by arbitration in Palo Alto, California before one arbitrator. The arbitration shall be administered by JAMS pursuant to its Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures and in accordance with the Expedited Procedures in those Rules. Judgment on the Award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. This clause shall not preclude parties from seeking provisional remedies in aid of arbitration from a court of appropriate jurisdiction. The JAMS Rules are available at www.jamsadr.com. In the event a provision of this Section conflicts with the applicable arbitration rules, such provision of this Section shall control.
Class Action Waiver
The arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of a class or representative proceeding or claims, unless both you and Sourcenext specifically agree to do so following initiation of the arbitration. If you choose to pursue a Dispute in court by opting out of the arbitration provision, as specified above, this class action waiver will not apply to you. You are not permitted to be a class representative, class member, or otherwise participate in a class, consolidated, or representative proceeding without having complied with the opt-out requirements above.
You understand and agree that by accepting the arbitration provision in these Terms, you and Sourcenext are each waiving the right to a jury trial or a trial before a judge in a public court.
Notwithstanding the Arbitration paragraph, either you or Sourcenext may assert claims, if they qualify, in small claims court in Palo Alto, California or in any United States county where you live or work. Either party may bring a lawsuit solely for injunctive or other equitable relief to stop unauthorized use of the Services or Sourcenext materials, or infringement of intellectual property rights.
Limitation on Claims
Regardless of any law to the contrary, any claim arising out of a Dispute must be filed within one (1) year after such cause of action arose, or such claim or cause of action will be forever barred.